Born on the 24th of August 1968, Doug Spear is a professional martial artist, personal fitness and movement coach and musician (guitar), who started studying martial arts in Perth in 1982.
Additionally, Doug is a professional firefighter with the Department of Fire and Emergency Services of Western Australia since 1992.
Since his first class, at the age of 14, karate has struck a chord with Doug and his passion for the martial arts and mixed movement arts commenced.
After 5 years of rigorous karate training, his steadfast, disciplined and ambitious personality, lead him to open his first Karate dojo along with his brother, Wayne Spear in Perth in 1987.
Doug has acquired black belts in various Martial Arts styles and also instructor rankings in Combative Self-Defense, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Animal Flow Level Two (Primal and Animal Moves) and fitness movement systems (Personal and Group Training).
In 2016, Doug was Inducted into the Australisian Martial Arts Hall of Fame and the World Karate Union Hall of Fame.
He also developed and grew his interest in Eastern Philosophy, studying at The University of Western Australia.
Doug has competed in Karate, Full Contact Kickboxing, Iaido, Kendo, Shoot-Boxing (now developed as Mixed Martial Arts), Judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments locally, and internationally in Karate, Judo and Table Tennis tournaments (at the World Firefighters games), and in Karate and the Ultimate Firefighter in the World Police and Firefighter games.
Doug has demonstrated and taught his martial arts, primal movement, animal flow and athletic movement and philosophy skills in Venice (Italy), Copenhagen (Denmark), Moscow (Russia) and at interstate martial arts seminars and events, local fight shows, gradings and within the local community at Shopping Centres, fetes and Schools and private businesses.
As a result of his constant will to expand and enlarge his knowledge within the movement arts and fitness, he has travelled extensively throughout the world in Europe, North America, South Africa, Asia and within Australia, where he competed and instructed at national and international tournaments and seminars and learnt skills from some of the world best martial artists and movement specialists.
Doug has been coached by the likes of Jean Marie Frecon (Global Systema), Mike Fitch (Animal Flow), Taira Sensei (Okinawa Goju Karate), Marcus Udsen Grandjean (Move Copenhagen), Alex Kostic (Systema Homo Ludens), Steve Nedelkos (Goju Karate), Peter James (WA School of Japanese Swordsmanship), Justin Boylan (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Karate), John Donehue (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu), John Siebet – deceased (Judo), Rod Stroud (Zen Do Kai Karate), Bob Jones (Zen Do Kai Karate), Ramon Lawrence (Setei Iaido), Terrence Bridgeman (Bridgeman Savate), Richard Norton (Zen Do Kai Karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu), Dave Hedgecock (Boxing and Kickboxing), Luis-Marc Bruneau Dumoulin (Handstand and Circus Performer) Jozef Frucek (Fighting Monkey) and Ido Portal (Ido Portal Method).
* 7th Degree Black Belt probationary – Karate – Title Kyoshi – Freestyle Martial Arts
* 6th Degree Black Belt – Muay Thai Kickboxing – Master Instructor – Bob Jones Martial Arts
* 4th Degree Black Belt – probationary Krav Maga – Senior instructor – Bob Jones Martial Arts
* 3rd Degree Black Belt Mixed Martial Arts, Master Instructor – Australian Mixed Martial Arts- Justin Boylan
* 3rd Degree Black Belt Kenjutsu – WA School of a Japanese Swordsmanship – Peter James
* 3rd Degree Black Belt Setei Iaido – Sensei, Australian Kendo Remnei
Association(Japanese Swordsmanship) – Sensei – Ramon Lawrence (OAM)
* 1st Degree Black Belt -Shoot-Wrestling, Sempai – (BJC) – Rod Stroud
* Goju Practitioner – Gojuryu Kenkyukai, Tiara Sensei
* Brown Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Australian Jiu -Jitsu and Grappling Association – John Donehue
* Savate Practitioner – Bridgeman Savate
* Founder of Seishin Martial Arts and Fitness Academy 1987
* Founder of Primal Movement Academy Perth – Primal Movement Academy 1992
* Co-Founder Executive Samurai -Business and Health with Dr Simon Carlin
* Combative Self Defense, Instructor -International College of Martial Arts – Damian Martin
* Accredited Muay Thai Judge – World Kickboxing Association
* Accredited Muay Thai Referee – World Kickboxing Association
* Certificate IV in Fitness – Australian Institute of Fitness
* Qualified Masseur -Discovery Massage
* Animal Flow Level 2 Instructor – Global Bodyweight Training- Mike Fitch
* Level 1 Accredited Coaching Course – Australian Sport and Recreation
* Master Personal Trainers Course – Australian Institute of Fitness
* Level 1 and 2 Smart(Swiss) Ball Course – Australian Institute of Fitness
* Gym Instructor Qualified – Australian Institute of Fitness
* Fitness Leader Qualified – Australian Institute of Fitness
* Stick Mobility Practitioner
* Advanced Resuscitation and Senior First Aid Qualified – St John Ambulance
* Working with Children Accreditation – Department of Justice
* Senior organizer of the Zen Do Kai State Martial Arts and Primal Movement Academies Training Camps (2011-2014)
* Bronze Medallion-Australian Surf Life Saving Association – 1990
* Registered with the World Karate, Kickboxing and Australian Jiu-Jitsu and Grappling and the West Australian Kendo Renmei Associations.
* Diploma in Firefighting Management
* Certificate 1V in Firefighting Supervision
* Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessing
* Certificate III in Firefighting Operations
* Certificate III in Public Safety-(Firefighting and Emergency Operations)
* Certificate III in Public Safety-(Confined Space Rescue)
* Certificate II in Security Operations
* Heavy Rescue Instructor
* Breathing Apparatus Instructor
* Occupation Health and Safety Representative
* Safety Awareness Training-(Blue Card)
* World Karate Union Hall of Fame Inductee – 2016
* Australisian Martial Arts Hall of Fame Inductee – 2016 Kenjutsu / Karate
* Karate Kumite Bronze Medalist- World Police and Fighters Games 2013 – Dublin Ireland
* Western Australian Firefighters of the Year, 2012 Finalist – Department of Fire and Emergency Services
* Karate Kumite Bronze Medalist – World Police and Fire-fighter Games 2009 – Vancouver, Canada
* Karate Kumite Bronze Medalist -World Fire-fighter Games 1998 -Durbin, South Africa
* Judo Club State Perth Titles Champion, Senior Division 1996 – Judo Australia
* Black Belt Zen Do Kai Novice Division Winner 1987 , Sparring, Kata and Combat, Perth
* Student of the year 1985- WA State Zen Do Kai Karate